Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 3: Your Parents



I didn't realize until I started writing this blog that I have absolutely no pictures of my father. Gotta hit up the Granny for some pics soon. Anywho, here goes...

Mother: Octavia White - awesome lady. She raised 3 children all by herself, with the help of a few choice family members, but mostly she did it alone. Love her with all my might. She's everything I wanna be and then some.


Father: Richard Edwards- honestly, I don't remember much about him. He passed away when I was 7 years old. But for some reason, I can remember the last time I saw him very vividly. I remember that it was a weekday, and he came to visit me and my sister at my maternal grandmother's house. I was on him like white on rice, happy to see him I guess, and my grandmother was making a big deal about me climbing on him. But he kept telling her that it was ok. I remember when he left, he told my sister and I that he would be back on Saturday, but instead of him coming back, it was my aunt who came to deliver the news that he had died. My mother wasn't home, so she went inside to talk to my grandmother while my sis and I stayed outside chatting with my cousins who were sitting in the car. When my mother made it home from work, I remember being inside my grandmother's house. My mom, sitting at the dining room table, told us what happened (minus the details) and I didn't believe her. I even went so far as to tell her that I didn't believe her. Yup, my little 7 year old behind was calling my mother a liar. I must've had a death wish, but she spared me due to the circumstances.

Now that I look back on it, that situation showed me that my mother is truly a strong woman. How do you tell two young girls that their father has died and not be a strong person? It's not possible. I love my mom!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wachuthink?